Sunday, April 01, 2012

Wozzeck for Familes

The San Francisco Opera will follow up its popular Carmen for Families with a Wozzeck for Families. The perfect introduction to opera, Wozzeck for Families is a 95 minute performance of the complete opera, telling the classic story of love, jealousy, betrayal and death in 15 short, cinematic scenes. Opera newcomers will thrill to the captivating tonalities of the 2nd Viennese School. Young audiences will be drawn to the opera's final scene, in which only children are on stage. The production is recommended for ages 10 and up due to the mature nature of the characters and story of Wozzeck. Patrons enjoying this production will no doubt look forward to Salome for Families in a subsequent season.

§ Photo credit: Kendra Luck / San Francisco Chronicle

9 comments:

Immanuel Gilen said...

If you lived in Germany, I would have totally gone along with this...

y2k said...

Seriously? Is this an April Fool's Joke?

Axel Feldheim said...

This does seem like child abuse.

Civic Center said...

I had heard that it was going to be Rigoletto for Families this fall, with the production pointing out the dangers of overprotective fathers.

Patrick J. Vaz said...

I'm still holding out for the Family Moses und Aron.

Immanuel Gilen said...

I heard they were going for "Einstein on the Beach for Families" where they only do every variation once, but unfortunately they only had about 3 minutes of material that way.

Axel Feldheim said...

Wow, thank you for your truly horrifying ideas.

Immanuel: Such blasphemy!

John Marcher said...

I thought I left a comment yesterday saying how much this made me laugh, but I must have been chuckling so much I pressed the wrong button. Just perfect!

Axel Feldheim said...

Thanks, Mr. Marcher, though I think your April 1st post caused much more concern.