Friday, December 10, 2010

Tangled 3D

Yesterday afternoon I saw Disney's Tangled 3D with a sparse matinee audience at the Century San Francisco Centre. The plot has just about no relationship to the Grimm fairytale about Rapunzel, so I was actually quite engaged following the story, which has a tiny echo of the Makropulos Case. It is a genuine kids movie, silly, & with few ironic jokes aimed at adults. The self-consciously dashing Flynn Rider looks like Adrien Brody & says my favorite line: "Sorry, I don't do backstory." I liked the dutiful animal sidekick Maximus, whose creators clearly wanted to animate a dog instead of a horse. The movie has a symphonic score & a few tepid Broadway-style songs, but thankfully there are no talking animals. There is quite a bit of action, including an otherwise inexplicable bursting dam. The best 3D effect was when 2 paper lanterns float out of the screen. The biggest emotional jolt I got, though, was when the theater charged us $16.25 a piece to view the movie in their XD theater.

§ Tangled
Walt Disney Animation Studios
Nathan Greno, Byron Howard

2 comments:

Gavin Plumley said...

I adore the idea that even a tiny thread of Janacek's opera could have found its way into a Disney movie!

Axel Feldheim said...

Of course you do! I hope am not totally off-base about the plot resemblance, though.