Sunday, April 19, 2009

You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown

I grew up reading Peanuts & am still a big fan, so it was hard for me to pass up the San Francisco Conservatory of Music's production of You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown this Saturday night. The show was revised for its 1999 Broadway revival, so it is not quite the period piece I thought it might be. In fact, the show didn't evoke the comic strip for me at all, but it was performed with earnest joy by the student cast. It was impossible to resist the appropriately hammy performance of Jimmy Featherstone as Snoopy. Brooke Munoz created a convincing character as the harridan Lucy, & she has a voice that probably needs no amplification. I had fun watching the cast execute the dance moves from the Charlie Brown Christmas cartoon. Other clever bits of choreography parodied Les Miz & Bob Fosse.

No comments: