Saturday, February 02, 2013

Macworld 2013

Friday afternoon I walked around the busy Macworld Expo at Moscone Center. It was part consumer trade show & part circus. I saw roller derby booth babes, vendors dressed as NASA astronauts, & 2 magicians. Apple does not appear at these shows anymore, but there is this diverse ecosystem built on top of the iPod, iPhone & iPad.

To use the Bowblade, you attach an iPhone to a bow-like device to play a virtual archery game.

Double Robotics put an iPad on top of a Segway to create a telepresence robot, controlled by another iPad, of course.

I was impressed by a demo of The Orchestra app by London-based TouchPress. Videos of Esa-Pekka Salonen conducting the Philharmonia Orchestra are synchronized with a running view of the full score. There's also a view that shows a map of the orchestra. Dots representing each instrument light up when the corresponding instrument plays a note.

 
I was unclear on the concept of the iPole, but perhaps the name & the hunky company reps are enough to sell it.

§ Macworld/iWorld 2013
January 31 – February 2, 2013
Moscone Center West

2 comments:

Civic Center said...

Looking at the iPole website, I think it's an attachment that allows you take photos over people's heads at sporting events, like a golf tournament. At $24.95 I probably would have bought one from an iPole Hunk just to say I'd done so, which means it's a good thing I did not attend.

By the way, I'm working in your neighborhood this month at the corner of Union and Fillmore. Let's do lunch.

Axel Feldheim said...

Yes, that sounds like a correct use for the device. I described it to a friend as an iPhone on a stick. I went back to the expo this afternoon to purchase a new set of earbuds, & this time I saw a monkey at one of the booths!

You must have a fancy client! Please let me know when is a good day for lunch