Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Bathroom Reading

Charles schulz museum bathroomJust because I still had access to a car, on Monday afternoon I drove across the bridge for a visit to the Charles Schulz Museum in Santa Rosa. A current exhibit called The Language of Lines loosely explores the importance of creating vivid cartoon characters. I was stopped in my tracks by a Pogo strip dated 12.23.1967. It shows the denizens of Okefenokee Swamp gathered around a sign that reads in large Gothic letters, “God is not dead, he is merely underemployed---”. I also enjoyed discovering that Dashiell Hammett wrote a comic strip illustrated by Alex Raymond called Secret Agent X-9. & there are even comics in the restrooms, which are furnished with tiles printed with Peanuts panels. The museum is hosting a free day this Sunday the 22nd, in celebration of Charles Schulz’s birthday.

No comments: