Sunday, November 02, 2008

Transforming Kami: The Art of Origami

This afternoon I dropped into the storefront space of the National Japanese American Historical Society to see this exhibit of extraordinary origami figures. I've been doing origami as a hobby since I was a kid, but I just don't understand the techniques that make some of these elaborate figures possible. Satoshi Kamiya's dragon is covered with individually folded scales. Brian Chan figured out a way to render realistically Wall-E's tread belt.

Several origami artists were in attendance this afternoon, including Giang Dinh, Joseph Wu, Linda Mihara, Brian Chan, Robert Lang & Jeremy Shafer. I chatted with Mr. Lang for a bit, who was patient with my incomprehension of the advanced folding techniques on display. More models comprising this exhibition are at the SF Public Library. I hope to check these out soon.

No comments: