Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Bay Area Maker Faire 2014

I spent the weekend as a booth babe at the Maker Faire in San Mateo, assisting Chris Jefferies, who was exhibiting a wireless sensor network he built from open source hardware & software. In addition to a diverse range of sophisticated hobbyists like Mr. Jefferies, ...


... the fair hosts affinity groups ...


... & artists utilizing technology in novel ways.


There was discussion among the makers about how commercial the fair has become, & in fact most of the exhibits are products.


Big corporations have taken note of the huge audience & duly set up camp.


I didn't come close to getting around to everything, but I did see a lot of custom fabrication & 3D printers.


In the Dark Room, I caught feeding time at this jellyfish aquarium.


The fair has exhibits with flame throwers, but I had to sign a safety waiver just to stand next to some beehives.


This transparent beehive totally made me want to learn beekeeping.


The fair does a terrific job of being family-friendly, & I saw lots of kids.


Every little girl wore an outfit that was coordinated in some way, & even the boys dressed better than me on a good day.

§ Bay Area Maker Faire 2014
May 17 & 18
Sat. 10 AM - 8 PM | Sun. 10 AM - 6 PM
San Mateo Event Center

No comments: