Tuesday, June 04, 2013

SFMOMA All-nighter

SFMOMA Countdown Celebration
In the windup to the building closure on Sunday, the SFMOMA was free & open around the clock this past weekend. I dropped in around midnight on Saturday, just to say I was there. The place was wall-to-wall people, & it felt like a party. Drinks were available in the lobby & the rooftop garden, where it was even hard to find a place to stand.

SFMOMA Countdown Celebration
There were continuous live events in the 5th floor cafe area, though the chatter from the rooftop crowd was so loud that it was hard to pay attention to anything. I saw archivist Rick Prelinger narrate a 20-minute excerpt of his silent documentary No More Road Trips?, a compilation of home movies shot on family road trips. Footage of tourists feeding bears along the highway was alarming.

SFMOMA Countdown Celebration
There were a lot of couples & groups of young people who looked like they'd be comfortable spending all night in the museum.

SFMOMA Countdown Celebration
The central stairwell was jam-packed, & it took me a good 5 minutes to get back downstairs. The wait to see The Clock was announced as 4 hours. When I left after midnight, entry to the building was temporarily paused, & the line outside stretched around the corner.

§ SFMOMA Countdown Celebration
May 30, through Sunday, June 2, 2013

3 comments:

Civic Center said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Civic Center said...

Way to go, Culture Warrior. I thought about going briefly because I had a few friends performing earlier in the evening, but then thought, "Naaah, I still haven't seen that episode of Burn Notice from Season 5."

Axel Feldheim said...

I'm glad I went Saturday night, because apparently Sunday was even more crowded. I had considered going to see Luciano's performance at the museum on Sunday afternoon, but the friend I was going to go with kind of talked us out of it.