Saturday, March 02, 2013

2013 San Francisco History Expo

This afternoon I went to the Old Mint to check out the San Francisco History Expo, a clubby community fair for local history buffs. It was worth a visit just to be inside the building, which feels like a disused stage set. There were even people in historical dress milling around. Most of the exhibitors were on the main floor, & there were films & presentations in the downstairs vault. The inner courtyard was also open.

Many of the City's neighborhoods have their own historical societies. I learned that we have a Museum of Freemasonry as well as over a dozen local lodges. I had a chat with Emperor Norton, who is apparently doing quite well as a local tour guide. He recommended another tour led by a drag incarnation of Lola Montez.

I loved looking at this matrix of snapshots showing the habitués of the Old Spaghetti Factory in North Beach, taken around 1962 by Jerry Burchard. A friendly volunteer identified some of the people for me.

They look amazing. Clearly from another era but somehow not that distant. I wish I'd been there.

§ 2013 San Francisco History Expo
Saturday March 2, 2013 - 11am to 5pm
Sunday March 3, 2013 - 11am to 4pm

The Old Mint
88 Fifth Street at Mission

No comments: