Thursday, November 22, 2012

Patchwork

Sunday afternoon I visited Jack London Square to check out Patchwork, a fair of DIY arts & crafts for sale. I felt like I'd fallen into etsy. I saw stationery, printed t-shirts, upcycled sport coats, hand-decorated pocket flasks, jewelry made of old maps, things made of felt, things knitted & crocheted, all of it indeed crafty & cute. Chocolates & terrariums were on offer. None of this was necessarily cheap.


Many attendees shopped with their dogs.


The event had a neighborhood atmosphere.


fiftyseven-thirtythree provided free screen printing of their "loakal" logo on attendees' t-shirts, which was a popular service.


The crowd was local, young & hip. The event had its own retro muzak, by a DJ who spun vintage LPs of 1960s lounge music. I kept waiting for an Yma Sumac song. More than one vendor recognized the designer of my hoodie, who turned out to have a booth there as well, even though I had assumed the event would be too cute for him.

§ Patchwork
Indie Arts & Crafts Festival
18 November 2012
Jack London Square Pavilion, Oakland

No comments: