Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Lunar Eclipse

Christmas LightsSince it was raining on & off on Monday, I figured it would not be possible to view the total lunar eclipse that happened to coincide with the winter solstice. However, it had stopped raining at night, so I went out around 11pm, & I could see the moon through occasional gaps in the clouds. With the small binoculars I normally use at the opera, I could clearly see the curved edge of the Earth's shadow. It was nice to be reminded of my childhood fascination with astronomy. I still remember the first lunar eclipse I saw as a kid & the moon's rusty, copper color at totality.

Walking around my neighborhood, I saw a handful of other people looking at the eclipse. I also discovered that some of my neighbors have fancy Christmas displays. Someone's balcony boasts a working Ferris wheel with snowmen riding on it. Unfortunately it is too high above the sidewalk to appreciate properly.

No comments: