Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Going Origami

Going Origami
From Art to Math to Science+Beyond

Bolinas Museum
October 3 - November 15, 2009


This past Saturday, I made it to the Bolinas Museum for the final weekend of this origami exhibit featuring works of Christine Edison, Peter Engel, Goran Konjevod, Robert Lang, Linda Mihara & Bernie Peyton.

origami flower
I am still in awe of Goran Konjevod’s cunningly pleated creations, such as this life-size version of a sunflower.

origami bear moose
Robert Lang was well-represented by his famously accurate animal models with their multiple points.

origami raven bronze
Lang also creates figures like this raven, which look like origami but are actually bronze statues.

I happened to be in the gallery at the same time as the curator, Terry Donohue, a Bolinas resident & origami enthusiast herself. This exhibit was a true labor of love for her. She told me the story of how she was suddenly inspired to put it on after accidentally meeting Bernie Peyton when she arrived too late for one of his exhibitions in the East Bay.

Bolinas road signThe visit was worth it, even though I hate to drive. I quickly tired of making turns along the twisty CA 1, scenic though it may be. I overshot the turnoff into Bolinas twice. I had fallen victim to a local prank. At the museum it was explained to me that the locals hate tourists & have a habit of removing the Bolinas road sign. After replacing the missing sign over 30 times, local authorities simply gave up. Nowadays, one of the signs can be inspected in the museum’s history room.

No comments: