Thursday, February 26, 2009

Cupcake Opera Paintings

A festive gallery opening took place last night at the Lower Haight branch of the fine dining establishment Squat & Gobble. On display are a dozen or so colorful & whimsical paintings depicting scenes from recent operatic productions put on by the San Francisco & Los Angeles companies. Having seen a few of these stagings myself, I can say that the images capture the mise-en-scène vividly, except that the operas' characters are replaced by delicious desserts. The artist's metaphor is yummy yet obscure.

The crowd of art & music lovers at the opening was intelligent, well-spoken & free of pernicious Belgian influences. The best viewing places are occasionally blocked by people behaving as if they are just trying to eat. This is a shame, as the paintings reward close inspection, some even containing tiny reproductions of musical scores. The artist is said to be abashed by all the attention, though she is apparently a well-known local blogger & patron of the arts. The works will be up through March 11th & are priced to move.

2 comments:

The Opera Tattler said...

Upon my word! Thank you for coming out, it sure was fun. At some point I'll regain my composure.

Axel Feldheim said...

Not to worry. You wear your celebrity well.

I have only been to a couple of gallery openings in my life. They are fun & easy!