Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008 Favorites

I felt very fortunate to be numbered among the small audience for Eugene Brancoveanu's intimate salon recital. András Schiff's Beethoven cycle continues to impress me with its high seriousness. The depth & beauty of Matthias Goerne's Brahms moved me to tears. At the opera, my most exciting moment of the year was standing on the stage just 15 minutes before the curtain went up on L'Elisir D'Amore. Safely on the other side of the curtain, I was thrilled by Susan Graham's Ariodante & by my 1st encounter with Die Tote Stadt, vividly conducted by Donald Runnicles. For sheer fun, both Max Raabe & Time For Three were hard to beat.

This year I also feel very lucky to have made the acquaintance of some wonderfully knowledgeable, entertaining & generous music buffs. They have made a big difference in my concert-going life already.

No comments: