Wednesday, December 18, 2013

An Appreciation for Music

One day I went out and bought a recording of Beethoven's Second Symphony and was so taken with it that I began to accumulate all the Beethoven symphonies. I then went on to Brahms, Mendelssohn and all the others. By that time, the first long-playing records had appeared, and my friends and I would listen to each other's new albums. That was the way I developed an appreciation for music. It is amazing how much you can learn about music just by reading the backs of album covers.
Charles Schulz. Charlie Brown, Snoopy, and Me

6 comments:

Civic Center said...

But there are no more album back covers. Or is that the point? Excuse the late night denseness.

Axel Feldheim said...

I'm not sure what the point is. I just came across this quote & thought it was a nice remembrance of how LPs created a couple of generations of classical music lovers. I do miss the backs of album covers, though.

Civic Center said...

Me too.

My favorite was actually a front album cover on a boxed mono set of Brahms Symphonies conducted by Bruno Walter I stumbled upon on at age 13. They had a quote from Esquire Magazine, saying something to the effect that "These performances are so good that these symphonies never need to be recorded again," and they were right.

Axel Feldheim said...

That blurb is good news for listeners but bad news for record companies. And what a precocious 13-year-old you were. My dad claims you can't appreciate Brahms until you're 40!

Civic Center said...

Unfortunately, I'm still precocious, and decided at age 40 that I couldn't stand Brahms anymore.

Axel Feldheim said...

I see you were ahead of the curve, as always!