Sunday, May 11, 2008

Transforming Art

Today I walked through the small exhibit at the Presidio Officers’ Club entitled Transforming Art Exhibition: The Art of Chris Hardman. The exhibit is presented by Antenna Theater. Mostly stuff with mirrors & wood & the modest use of optical illusions. It's nothing earth-shattering, but it's free & part of a visit to the building.

I knew that the Officer's Club building was old, but I didn't realize it dated to the 1st decades of the 19th century. I also learned that part of the motivation for building these garrisons in the 19th century was that the Russians also had colonies on the West Coast then (hence the name of Russian River). I had no idea there were Russian settlements here way back then. What were they doing? What happened to them?

No comments: