Saturday, November 28, 2015

Etsy Holiday Crowds

This Saturday afternoon around 3pm, I showed up at Pier 35, thinking I would check out the free Etsy Holiday Emporium. Instead I came upon 2 long lines extending from either side of the entrance.

Staff were admitting people in waves of 50 at 5 minute intervals. A woman near the head of one line said she had been waiting 40 minutes, & more people kept joining the lines.

I was agape at both the crowds & the eager willingness to wait.

According to facebook posts, the venue became dangerously over-crowded within an hour of opening this morning, & some called the event a fail. Apparently Etsy was unprepared to have such an insane hit on its hands.

§ SF Etsy Team Indie Holiday Emporium
Sat–Sun, Nov 28–29, 11:00am–5:00pm 
Pier 35

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for coming! It was certainly overwhelming... but the "failure" was that it was TOO much of a success!! :) And as far as the facebook posts, I talked to many people that were afraid to post anything (or did post something) positive because of the hoard of negative people being nasty online! But everyone I spoke to in person had a really great time!! Next time they should have it at Golden Gate Park lol!

Axel Feldheim said...

Glad to hear that people had a good time. I'm afraid I was not persistent enough to wait in line, so I never saw what was going on inside. I'm definitely impressed, though, by the success of the event and the audience that Etsy was able to deliver to its vendors. Thanks for reading.