Thursday, August 20, 2009

Outdoor Exploratorium Exhibits

Fracture mapping in fort mason parking lotOn this overcast morning, I spent about 45 minutes visiting the Outdoor Exploratorium Exhibits at Fort Mason. You pick up a map at the Main Office, & it leads you on a thorough walking tour of Fort Mason. The Exploratorium has a very broad definition of interactivity, & clearly not everything is going to work all the time. It was not warm enough to experience the Architectural Mirage nor windy enough to lift the airfoils installation. I probably will check out the elevation of the Golden Gate Bridge next time I am in the neighborhood. The oddest exhibit asks us to taste salt water. I most liked the enigmatic Fracture Mapping symbols embedded in the parking lot. They might actually make me start looking more closely at cracks in the pavement.

No comments: