Sunday, July 20, 2008

SF Zine Fest

For a good dose of alternative culture, on Saturday I checked out the SF Zine Fest at the Hall of Flowers in Golden Gate Park. It felt larger & busier than the event last year in the Mission. I couldn't resist buying all 3 available issues of the lovely, playful & treat-filled zine All This is Mine. I met Michael Capozzola who draws the off-color Cheap City in the Chronicle. He worked so hard selling me that I would have felt mean if I hadn't bought his twisted & lewd Chubby Browne comic. I picked up the latest issue of Jason Martin's sensitive & affectionate Laterborn. He even took the time to sign it for me with a little cartoon.

Once I started handling Kelly Lee Barrett's palm-sized book of photographs of Clarion Alley, I had a hard time putting it down. It was out of my price range, but I so wanted to have it! It was also impossible not to stop for Jonathan Fetter-Vorm's gorgeous illustrations for Beowulf & Lucretius. I chatted with Mr. Fetter-Vorm briefly, & I think he is one smart guy. I was hoping to see Andy Hartzell there & harass him for Part 3 of Monday, but lucky for him I didn't find him.

No comments: