Thursday, May 07, 2009

Cooper-Hewitt Museum

New York City, 1 May 2009

The Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum has been on my short list of New York museum visits for years, so I was determined to see it, despite the rainy weather this day. Of course when I get there I discover that they are in the midst of major renovations, so only the 1st floor was open. Still, I was able to get a taste of the well-preserved interior of the Carnegie Mansion, & I learned more about felt than I knew there was to know.

I saw a beautiful tea ceremony rug from Mongolia that could be an illustration from Christopher Alexander's The Nature of Order. I was intrigued by Andrea Zittel's seamless felted dresses & had a nice rest under Jancie Arnold's diaphanous Palace Yurt Installation. I also had an instructional chat with a museum visitor from The Netherlands who happens to make custom clothing with felt & who knew much more than the museum guide.

No comments: