Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Henri Cartier-Bresson

New York City, 30 April 2009

Henri Cartier-Bresson
is a favorite photographer, so he was a good excuse to visit the Edwynn Houk Gallery, a fancy 5th Avenue art gallery exhibiting some of his prints. Even though the selection is small, the great range of Cartier-Bresson's work is evident. I enjoyed discovering his sinister pictures of a Paris bicycle race from the 1950s. Perhaps it was just because I was on vacation & wandering in New York, but I studiously examined the price list & mused upon how I might re-arrange my life in order to own his image of the children playing in the rubble of Seville, Spain 1933.

Down the hall from Edwynn Houk I found the McKee Gallery. I was both entertained & disconcerted by Vlatka Horvat's interactive Birds Shelf (I) 2009. It's a row of toy birds that come to life & start chirping when you approach them.

No comments: